Under the direction of theMLA Coordinator, the designated Operations Coordinator, and the SupportServices Manager, Medical Lab Assistants perform a variety of support servicesto the laboratory. Depending on the area in which an individual is assigned forhis/her shift, the responsibilities vary. The job duties are listed below for the workstations that an MLA may beassigned to.
Job Specifics Requirements:
Laboratory Procedures and Protocols
- Maintain established departmentpolicies and procedures, objectives, safety,environmental and infection controlstandards.
- Process a variety of specimens inaccordance to established protocols.
- Data entry into both the hospital andlaboratory information systems.
- Monitor the pneumatic tube system andthe timely processing of all specimens Received through it.
- Process add-on requests from clientoffices and from nursing units.
- Monitor requests for laboratorytesting that have not been processed through the Laboratory information system.
- Ensure that all outstanding ordersare accounted for and that any missingspecimens are found.
- Document the receipt of specimens inthe laboratory information system.
- Print and fax patient reports asrequested.
- Perform quality assurance checks onoutpatient requisitions to ensure the correctness of data entry.
- Sort and file requisitions in theappropriate location according to established protocols.
- Pull all out-patient requisitionsthat require follow-up with the physician offices in the morning.
- Maintain work area in a neat,orderly, and well-stocked fashion.
- Rotate into weekends and holidays asassigned to assure uniform quality of laboratory services.
- Communicate with medical, nursing,and office personnel regarding laboratory results and protocols.
- Provide back up for all areas ofresponsibility for an MLA regardless of the individual assignment.
- Perform other related duties asrequired or as responsibilities dictate.
Personal and Professional Growth
- Demonstrate the role of a medicallaboratory assistant in a professional manner.
- Assume accountability for his/herposition extends self when unusual need arises.
- Report for work on time and giveadequate notice of absenteeism or tardiness.
- Routinely undertakes additional taskswhen his/her assignment is completed.
- Accepts constructive criticismregarding own performance and strives to make improvements.
- Adheres to policies established formeals, breaks, dress code, and parking.
- Exhibits courtesy and respect topatients, families, physicians, clients, and co-workers.
- Maintains competencies through:Regular participation in service education programs.
- Demonstrates understanding of Fire andDisaster Plan, Infection Control, trauma Alert Protocol, and handling ofcritical patients.
- Demonstrates proficient laboratory skills viayearly competencies.
- Motivated and self-directed:
- Carries out responsibilities promptly and in aself-directed fashion.
- Seeks additional learning experiences.
- Contributes to Organizational Goals
- Utilizes concepts of preventivemaintenance and proper use of laboratory equipment.
- Is flexible and receptive to change.
- Participates in quality improvementactivities.
- Demonstrates excellent customerservice skills to promote customer satisfaction
Requires intense attention and concentration. Ability tohandle several processes concurrently. Ability to deal with a wide range of personalities. Basic computerskills which may be obtained thru on the job training.
Preferred; Medical terminology preferred.Accurate typing skills, Hospital or physician office experience helpful.
Preferred: Highschool diploma or GED preferred
Applicants with relevant experience will be considered. Salem Hospital, a member of Mass General Brigham, is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Minorities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. Pre-employment drug screening is required.
Grow, learn and develop new practice innovations.
Continue your medical education.
Make academic connections and explore teaching opportunities.
Explore leadership opportunities.
Develop clinical and administrative career ladders.
A supportive practice environment
Patient-centered care model.
Leadership that listens and values your contributions and ideas.
Autonomy and respect for your skills and expertise.
Excellent salary and benefits.
NSPG’s MHQP Patient Experience surveys show that we perform higher than the state mean in all domains with 92% of patients indicating that they would recommend NSPG services.
Our physicians are polling in the top 75th percentile of AMGA Satisfaction metrics for almost every major category—the highest physician satisfaction scores of any medical group in the Boston region.
25th percentile in MGMA cost benchmarks and top 75th percentile in revenue benchmarks.
Keywords: Boston medical center, Boston area, Best regional hospital, Best hospital, North Shore’s largest provider, North Shore Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Salem Hospital, Union Hospital, Designated stroke center, High-performing, Partners HealthCare, Community health, Community hospital system, Clinician, Massachusetts hospital, Electronic medical records, Epic EMRs, In-patient, Teaching, Academic medicine, Clinical ladder, Level III Trauma Center, Nationally recognized, Outpatient, Patient-focused care, Patient-Centered Medical Home, Provider, Wellness, U.S. New & World Report ranking, Expert, Serve, Care, Healthcare, Multispecialty, Boston, North Shore, Marblehead, Salem, Peabody, Danvers, Lynnfield, Lynn, Melrose, Wakefield, Manchester, Nahant, Topsfield, Wenham, Middleton, Malden, Revere, Beverly, Rowley, Saugus, Swampscott