North Shore Physicians Group (NSPG), the largest multispecialty group north of Boston, has a singular focus: the patient. We are more than 320 physicians, nurses and health professionals working as one to provide exceptional care. And we are a national leader in improving care delivery, patient health and satisfaction.
Through our partnership with North Shore Medical Center and our affiliation with Massachusetts General Hospital and Partners HealthCare, we offer such advances as EMRs, shared medical appointments, online access and remote patient monitoring. Our success is built on team-based practices, collaborative environments and the importance of work-life balance. Bring your exceptional skills to our innovative practices and join us in driving medicine forward.
We are seeking experienced Physician Assistants to work within the NSMC ER.
Under direction of a physician in the ED specialty, assists in the fast track and provides care to patients. Care may include performing complete histories and physical exams, performing or ordering simple diagnostic tests, prepare a diagnosis and implement treatment procedures for illnesses as well as emergency cases, developing a working diagnosis to provide continuing medical care including daily exams, writing orders, chart notes and discharge summaries.
- Applies knowledge and skills of cast application, traction set-up and maintenance in designated responsibilities.
- Acts as a resource where expertise is requested in orthopedic devices.
- Collaborates with MD and nurses regarding the impact of practice or cost and utilization of c equipment and supplies.
- Prepares and knows the specific uses of all equipment and supplies used for orthopedic procedures.
- Develops and improves skills in the organization of work and in assisting the physician make efficient use of time, motion, and materials.
- Identifies emergency situations and uses sound judgment in instituting established procedures to respond to emergencies in a calm and efficient manner.
- Responds to the need for assistance on cases.
- Assumes on-call status for the Emergency Department as required by the Chief of the Service.
- Demonstrates aseptic technique for pin and drain removal.
- Demonstrates proper technique for cast and suture removal.
The Physician Assistant may perform the following duties as needed:
- insert peripheral IV lines
- perform venous punctures for specific lab tests
- insert arterial lines
- administer blood products
- mix and/or administer IV medications
- read radiographs
- perform suturing
- Initiate and complete all medical record and billing documentation as required
- Ensures all services rendered by the PA are documented according to hospital policies, regulatory and payor requirements.
- Ensures services are billed and counter signed by the collaborating and/or supervising physician
- Follows hospital policy and procedures regarding patient and staff safety, maintains a safe environment.
- Incorporates infection control standards in daily activities.
- Adheres to standards established for attendance and is punctual.
- Adheres to Patient Care Services dress code standard.
- Wears employee name badge/picture identification.
- Adheres to all Human Resources policies of Salem Hospital/NSMC.
- Supports and demonstrates the philosophy, goals, values and standards of the division and the North Shore Medical Center.
- Maintains the dignity and confidentiality of all patients while promoting autonomy and individuality.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the respect for diverse ethnic, spiritual, cultural and socioeconomic population (backgrounds).
- Understands and integrates service excellence standards at all times. Serves as a role model. Recognizes these attributes in others and celebrates their achievements.
- Participates in implementation of the change process.
- Engages in activities that promote mutual cooperation and supportive collegial relationships.
PA must be a graduate from an accredited program. Masters Degree Preferred
Must have current PA license in the Commonwealth of MA
1 to 5 years of ED experience to include inpatient/outpatient care assistance (at least 2 years of ED experience preferred)
It is the policy of North Shore Medical Center and North Shore Physicians Group to affirmatively implement equal opportunity to all qualified candidates and existing employees without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, disability, Veterans of the Vietnam Era status; or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable ordinance or law. All aspects of employment including recruitment, selection, hiring, training, transfer, promotion, termination, compensation and benefits.