OverviewSummary of Position:
Position is responsible for leadership, oversight, and improvement of all practice operations functions, expenses and staff throughout the assigned site. These functions include medical and office supply materiel management, patient contact and communication, patient demographic and insurance information gathering and confirmation, site-based facility management, CPT coding and charge capture and entry, patient flow, telephone triage, medical information management, provider support, and office based diagnostic testing. Performs the duties of and serves as a role model and resource person for staff at the site wherever training and licensing permit and at other sites on an as needed basis. This position acts a liaison between the site-based practice staff and the Practice Administrator, Central Business Office and the physicians of the site for office wide communications and coordination of new initiatives and issue resolution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Culture of Excellence Responsibilities:
* See everyone as worthy of respect and attention.
* Design care and services for and with each patient.
* Recognize that patients see quality service as quality care.
* Make it a priority to assist patients, visitors and colleagues.
* Take advantage of learning and growth opportunities.
* Understand organizational goals and priorities.
* Understands and adheres to North Shore Medical Centers' (NSMC) compliance standards as they appear in Corporate Compliance Policies, Code of Conduct, and NSMC's Policies.
* Professional, Supervisory and Managerial Staff, keep abreast of all pertinent federal, state and NSMC regulations, laws and policies as they presently exist and as they change or are modified.
* Managerial Staff ensure that their staff are trained and evaluated on their knowledge of and adherence to compliance policies and procedures specific to their jobs.
Provides day to day supervision of site-based support staff
- Provides timely and effective overall leadership, work coordination, orientation and training, personal career development and direction for the site-based support staff, including front desk, medical records nurses and laboratory and other clinical support personnel.
- Schedules all site-based support staff for work area assignments, ensuring adequate provider and patient support at the assigned practice site at all times.
- Performs routine supervision and employee support in a timely and effective manner, including identifying cost justified personnel needs, recruiting, screening, hiring and training qualified staff in accordance with policies and procedures, performing payroll submittal, performance evaluation, professional development, staff-related problem resolution, discipline and other personnel management functions, for site-based support staff at the assigned site.
- Researches physician needs and implements appropriate daily nurse and medical assistant protocols so that providers are supported to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the site.
- Provides patient care and administrative support, as appropriate.
- As training and licensing permit, performs the duties of any of the support staff positions in a competent manner as needed for uncovered practice support needs.
- In conjunction with the relevant physicians, provides effective and prompt intervention, direction and resolution in patient care problems and complaints.
- As needed, performs routine front desk tasks competently and cheerfully, including patient check-in, patient check-out, cash balancing and closing procedures.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Provides leadership and oversight to all site operations so that site based functions operate smoothly and efficiently to accommodate providers, patients and the billing and collection functions.
- Day to day, maintains awareness of site-related opportunities, problems and concerns, resolves based on established protocols and good management judgment.
- Reviews and maintains awareness of all site-based systems on an ongoing basis, offering ideas for improvements, participating and leading teams and other quality improvement initiatives. Works with staff and providers to design and implement system enhancements.
- Plans and informs staff of weekly schedule and work assignments, maintains awareness of day-to-day work flow,ensuring that all work is completed on a timely basis. Supervises the work of staff, ensuring that work is completed in a timely and accurate manner. Provides employee additional training or counseling as needed. Uses the progressive discipline method as needed.
- Works with the Practice Administrator to establish and monitor quality and productivity indicators for at the site
- Keeps staff informed of site-related, and other changes and news going on throughout the organization.
- Maintains staffing levels within budget or directed levels.
- Working with Practice Administrator, establishes and executes training modules for new employees and site-specific policies and procedures with existing employees. Monitors performance of staff, performing annual reviews, offering corrective advice as needed in a timely fashion
- Provides day-to-day facility and administrative management and oversight for the site, monitoring the physical environment and calling in appropriate resources to address problems with telephones, lighting, electrical, telephone and other facility systems.
- Interfaces with the Central Business Office for the site. Maintaining through systems development, analysis and re design the quality of the initial demographic and insurance data gathering and checking systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Practice Administrator and other management personnel.
- Performs assigned administrative and financial management tasks
- In conjunction with. accounting policies, Practice Administrator and staff knowledgeable of these processes, develops, executes and effectively manages all aspects of site's material management needs, including supply and equipment ordering and stocking, management of costs, par levels, inventory and safe storage, such that clinical and office supplies are always available, all regulatory standards are met, and costs are within MGMA norms
- In conjunction with the Practice Administrator, develops budget for staff, supply, and other expenses in the clinical support areas. Makes plans and recommendations regarding need for expenditure or staffing adjustments to conform to budget and other financial conditions in the context of adequate patient care and MGMA norms.
- Keeps professional knowledge current by attending professional development activities required for licensure and excellence in patient care, and practice management skills.
- Attends Charter Professional Services Corp.-wide and site specific meetings and participates in community health education and outreach programs, as requested.
- Maintains an Atmosphere of Openness, Trust & Mutual Respect Among Fellow Staff Members and Patients
- Supportive of all staff in a manner that fosters team work and mutual commitment and enthusiasm towards practice's goals and objectives as communicated by the Senior Physician/Medical Director and Practice Administrator.
- Manages interpersonal conflict through direct problem solving and conflict resolution.
- Utilizes the appropriate chain of command to resolve problems and to bring suggestions/ideas forward.
- Treats all patients courteously and with dignity and respect at all times. Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Accepts constructive criticism well and applies it to improving work outcomes.
The candidate must have demonstrated success in yielding unprecedented results within the area of health care operations management. In conjunction with other members of the senior management team, develops an operational plan that establishes clearly defined performance standards, metrics and workflow's that can be tracked against timelines to evaluate the organization's performance at all times.
- Must be a superior communicator, seen as direct and truthful. He/she must possess exceptional confidence when articulating all relevant operational perspectives.
- Possesses excellent physician relation skills. Effectively engages with physicians by providing valuable insights and logical explanations when faced with difficult questions.
- Strong skills in developing computer work sheets and presentations
- This position requires a team player, committed to serving as a member of the Clinic management team.
Previous management experience required preferably in a physician practice setting. Advanced degree in related field preferred or a minimum of 3-5 years clinical experience in physician office setting
Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, or 3-5 years relevant work experience.
It is the policy of North Shore Medical Center and North Shore Physicians Group to affirmatively implement equal opportunity to all qualified candidates and existing employees without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, disability, Veterans of the Vietnam Era status; or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable ordinance or law. All aspects of employment including recruitment, selection, hiring, training, transfer, promotion, termination, compensation and benefits.