OverviewUnder direct supervision of the Practice Manager, the Front Desk Supervisor is responsible for site alignment with organizational mission, vision and strategic goals within the Partners health care network while managing all aspects of front desk operations and collaboratively leading and supervising staff team members to achieve targets. Supervisors will oversee staff and job tasks assigned to reception, payment posting, and self-pay accounts receivable. The Front Desk Supervisor will ensure that all provider schedules are appropriately populated and registration information is captured. Supervisors must possess strong business acumen, leadership skills, workforce development skills and be a change innovator with demonstrated ability to represent the organization internally and externally.
- Maintains knowledge of all NSPG organizational strategies and goals relating to the patient experience. Is able to model and train NSPG service philosophy and behaviors to front desk /clerical employees.
- Is knowledgeable of Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) initiatives and Virginia Masson Production Institute (VMPI) improvement initiatives. Follows through with pcmh pillar standards of work and is able to evaluate change, improve and sustain change in work flows.
- Demonstrates to ability to identify waste in front end systems using VM improvement methodology.
- Consistently represents Voice of Customer in practice by:
- Supporting change and improving systems and processes for non value added work and the reduction/elimination of waste.- Seeks continuous feedback from customers through patient rounding and utilizing input to improve the patient experience.- Holds self, patient service rep ( PSR) / Clerical staff accountable in upholding Front end standard work and regulatory protocols.
- Able to obtain facts and information of patient complaints and concerns and work to resolve.
- Organizes front desk operations to accommodate incoming calls from patients.
- Demonstrates ability to support manager with consistent and sustainable improvements in:
Quality- Patient satisfaction- Provider satisfaction- Employee satisfaction- Employee retention
- Demonstrates an understanding of Patient Centered Medical Home and is able help educate front desk staff.
- Provides leadership and support to PSR / Clerical staff
- Supports the care team in daily huddles as determined by practice
- Demonstrates high degree of efficiency and accuracy in patient scheduling
- Provides the training and education of staff members in the standards set forth for accurate scheduling.
- Assures the referral process is efficient and patient centered. Incorporates standard of work in referral processing
- Take a lead role with providers in schedule templates. Oversees provider schedules to ensure optimization of access and is able to work with providers to move towards access improvement initiatives and planning for new patient visits.
- Supports the pcmh access pillar initiatives to effectively to optimize patient access:
- Able to anticipate provider scheduling concerns and work to resolove.- Demonstrates competence in lean process improvement and:
- Able to work with manager on schedule template issues impacting patient access
- Holds self and front desk staff accountable in the implementation of scheduling solution sets and are able to maintain the administrative functions of physician schedule management.
- Is able to support and implement efficient work flow models. Demonstrates sustainability by continuous monitoring and reinforcing.- Promotes and supports patient gateway/patient portal goals and holds self and PSR's accountable for patient portal work flows for message desk, referral desk, demographic, and prescriptions desk.
- Volunteers for and participates in projects and pilots in line with process improvement activities
- Effective in managing time and priorities in alignment with organizational goals and direction. Is able to focus on high leverage actions and plans to move practice forward.
- Maintains a consistent positive outlook with all staff members, providers and colleagues.
- Maintains professionalism in leading the front desk administrative team in organizational directions and initiatives. Exhibits a can do and win/win approach to change.
- Ability to manage payroll or payroll back up in Kronos.
- Designs and/or supports improvements in front end to clinical work flow/communication flow and systems flow.
- Demonstrates Implementation of standard of work protocols and utilizes resources to assure staff members are trained and equipped to manage. Holds staff members accountable for standard of work.
- Hires, trains and prepares staff schedules and coordinates coverage to ensure appropriate staff levels.
- Consistently meets with or huddles with PSR team to assure all staff demonstrate awareness of daily operational issues and are able to manage.- Promotes PSR Staff training and development by:
- Allowing and encouraging attendance at trainings, conferences, educational opportunities and participation on NSPG councils.- Actively supports organization's educational and academic initiatives and shows a willingness to work with team to incorporate at practice level.
- Works with staff members to help define professional needs and desires.
- Holds all staff accountable to code of behavior.
- All front end staff are able to provide patient's appropriate education re: residency program
- Works effectively with human resources in managing/correcting employee behavior at the workplace.
Finance- Ability to identify early on employee behavior requiring correction and/or improvement. Works effectively with employee to correct behavior.- Maintains a solution orientated approach to managing conflict- Effectively evaluates staff members and is consistent and fair- Is effective in gathering facts and documentation for performance improvement plans and /or corrective action. Documents clearly and in accordance with HR laws.
- Oversees adherence to established cash control procedures, policy and protocols to deter out of balance batches. Is able to manage and correct out of balance batches before close of business day.
- Work towards maintaining budget line items
- Promotes revenue building by reducing waste where possible
- Provide leadership and oversight in all site front end operations to facilitate excellent patient care and support efficient provider, billing and collection functionality.- Identifies cost-justified personnel needs and recruits, screens, hires, trains, and evaluates qualified staff in accordance with CPSC policies and procedures.- Encourages and arranges for staff professional development, facilitates staff-related problem resolution, and disciplines staff as needed.
- Maintain 5S of office and demonstrate competency in real time office supply ordering. Awareness of and able to identify waste for potential savings
Skills:- Proficiency with Excel, Word, Various practice management, scheduling and billing systems,
- Supervisory and leadership experience and are knowledgeable of process improvement/change management
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Excellent team building and communication skills
- Superb customer service skills
- Required: At least 1 year experience in health care
- Preferred: Experience in managing and supervising other staff member in a health care settings.
- Required: High School Diploma and 2 years supervisory experience
- Preferred: Associates or Bachelors degree in health care of related field and 1 year experience in health care or related field
Applicants with relevant experience will be considered. North Shore Medical Center is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Minorities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. Pre-employment drug screening is required.