- Maintains records of vital statistics and other pertinent data of patient. Receives patient lab results and other data, enters and organizes this data into the patient medical records according to North Shore Medical Center and Salem Family Health Center protocols.
- Effectively responds to and communicates urgent or time sensitive information to the appropriate providers in a timely manner.
- Measures and/or records patient histories, height, weight, temperatures, blood pressure and pulse as appropriate for the visit.
- Communicates and interprets providers clinical information and instructions to patients; with specific direction from the provider including but not limited to instructing patients regarding medication, use of home testing or other equipments or medical supplies, communicating testing results, counsels patients on health maintenance related issues (e.g. cholesterol, control, blood pressure control, etc).
- Acts as a liaison and advocate for patients with external agencies and institutions to ensure that all necessary care is received. Ensures that referrals are made in an appropriate and timely fashion and that appropriate documentation is provided.
- Provides care management and ensures continuity of care for individuals and families through the development and implementation of tracking systems and follow up procedures.
- Prepares patient and exam rooms for and assists with examinations.
- Administers injections and medications, dresses wounds and incisions, assists with minor surgery and performs related tasks as directed.
- Conducts specified office laboratory and other tests, such as urine dip sticks, hemocult cards and finger stick hemoglobins.
- Assists in the collection of specimens.
- Instructs patients regarding preparation for various tests and procedures.
- Oversees prescription refills and new medication as directed by the providers.
- Informs patients of test results and/or providers recommendations in person or via phone or mail.
- Reviews missed appointments with the clinic preceptor at the end of each day to determine appropriate plans for rescheduling the missed appointment.
- Document this contact in the patients' record.
- Record review must be done at the end of each day.
- Assists with resident schedules
- Assists with the oversight and coordination of quality controls.
- Cleans and performs routine daily care on instruments and equipment.
- Maintains neatness and general appearance of assigned exam rooms, prepares and replenishes supplies as needed for these rooms.
- Properly handles and disposes of contaminated and disposable items.
- Orders, receives, stocks and organizes the handling of medications.
- Trains new or less experienced medical assistants and nurses.
- Works with other staff members in a cooperative and supportive fashion.
- Attends meetings and continuing educations opportunities as directed.
- Seeks to expand skills and professional knowledge.
- Performs other tasks as requested by the clinic preceptor or program manager.
Job Qualifications; Brief description of the minimum qualifications for the job.
Skills: (Specific learned activity gained through training, e.g., typing, presentation skills, computer skills; e.g. Excel; CPR,ACLS)
- Required: Phlebotomy. Medication Administration. Knowledge of minor surgical procedures and equipment. CPR Certification for Healthcare Professionals
- Required: Requires a minimum of one year triage experience in medical office setting or hospital.
- Preferred:Family medicine, primary care, or pediatric experience preferred
- Required: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
Licensure, Certifications, or Registration:
- Required: Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
It is the policy of North Shore Medical Center and North Shore Physicians Group to affirmatively implement equal opportunity to all qualified candidates and existing employees without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, disability, Veterans of the Vietnam Era status; or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable ordinance or law. All aspects of employment including recruitment, selection, hiring, training, transfer, promotion, termination, compensation and benefits.